In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 268
On this Board 171Record: 1181 (12/30/2012)
Online now 273Record: 2683 (6/1/2013)
You have no favorite boards.
I want to ask BearsTruth followers a question. Despite sounding like X (who is actually my third favorite poster on this site after Ashley and Brian), this is a very sincere question because I feel a little sense of "well that was fun" creeping into my own sports mind. The question is... As we sit here today, are we A, B or C below:
A.) The Party is Ending
- Great sports year in 2011/12 but it's nearly over
- Football lost RG3, Gannaway and KW - five to six win season next year, lose some recruits, back to being BU
- Basketball, better than last year 10/11, but seems destined to play 2 to 3 more games at the most this year
- Basketball will ultimately be remembered for what it did not do, than what it could have done
- Big recuits next year, but some significant losses as well, will be relying heavily on freshmen, which is scary
- Girls are great, barring injury or fouls, but we care about that (which I do) more than most folks in sports
- Girls softball is dead in the water because of torn acl to Canyon
- Baseball starts well, but send some signals that it might be a rough year, particularly with ability to finish games
B.) The Party May Look Different But is Just Getting Going
- While football loses some GREAT talent for sure, the progam is now headed the right direction under Briles
- Football will surprise folks, the system will take over offensively and we will all be happy with Florence
- Seastrunk did not play at Oregon BUT it was simply because of the guys he was behind at the time
- Basketball will have some addition by subtraction, we will misss Acy, but Gathers will add some size/tough
- BG stays and we have another incredible season at girls bball
- Softball rebounds and baseball progresses
- BU gets less love in the media but that's OK because we don't want to be a "cute story", we want to consistently win and be thought of as a competitor
C.) Some mix of the above.
I have a feeling it will get tough for awhile but curious to know where everyone's mindset it relative to our ability to sustain overall sports success.
I believe the most important component of a successful program is having the right coaches in place. With Briles, Drew, and Mulkey we have that. Keep them in place, along with Kaz, and we should be competitive for a while. Doubt we ever have another RG3 and all 3 sports top 15 in the same year, but we will be a program to be proud of.
Your right about the coaches. I think it's more like a kid at Disneyland. After this year, you just don't want it to end. If we just remain competitive across all the sports, I will be happy.
aka as, the old BEAR
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports